Beach time!

Beach time!

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

The cover of feathers

He will cover you with His feathers and under His wings you will find refuge; His faithfulness will be your shield and rampart. You will not fear the terror of night, nor the arrow that flies by day." Psalm 91:4-5

Yes, I know that I have covered this verse already but I am feeling its strength this week. We have had an eventful Christmas around here and I want to take this opportunity to give thanks to my God who gave my family refuge and cover. We were hit by the tornado the Thursday before Christmas. We were not home at the time and were unable to return until the following day because our road in front of the driveway was covered in live power lines that had come down in the storm. As we walked up to our property, this verse instantly popped in my head. The tornado literally touched down all around our house-30 or so trees uprooted , some of which are mere feet from the house, car was hit and totaled, and barn roof and fencing struck by uprooted trees. As I looked at the damage, I felt a sense of God's provision and protection. I don't know why He chose to protect us or why the tornado looks as though it literally made a U-turn around the back of my house. All I know is what I see. It is not all that often that I get such a thorough visual representation of His protection and covering. In that moment I got tears in my eyes about "what could have been". In fact, as I sit in my sunroom typing now, I can see the potential for damage and destruction right outside my window.

Several things got my attention about that night. First, we weren't at home. If we were at home, we would have been fine but it would have been intensely scary for us. I already have a 9 year old that struggles a bit in severe weather with worry and fear. Secondly, the verse from Job came to mind: Job 1:20b (NIV) "The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away; may the name of the LORD be praised." The Lord chose not to take away from us anything that couldn't be repaired or fixed but He certainly could have. 

I am fully aware of His covering of feathers right now and want this verse etched and placed over my doorway so that we are reminded of His daily grace and mercies even when things are difficult. Would I feel this way if we were suffering from severe losses? I don't know. But I do know that I am loved, protected, and cherished by my God.

More tomorrow (now that I have internet back) :)
Love and blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment