Beach time!

Beach time!

Saturday, December 10, 2011

Wherever You Set Foot

I promise you what I promised Moses: 'Wherever you set foot, you will be on land I have given you...No one will be able to stand against you as long as you live. For I will be with you as I was with Moses. I will not fail you or abandon you.

Joshua 1:3-5

The first thing that strikes me about this verse is the number of promises God makes in a very few sentences. Promises of success, strength, comfort, and companionship. These are promises that God is making to Joshua who succeeded Moses in leading the Israelites. I'm sure that Joshua was beyond intimidated by the sandals he had to fill. I can't imagine being the leader that followed after the example that Moses set. Insecurity and anxiety must have filled his heart as he thought of the daunting task of leading the Israelites across the Jordan River into the Promised Land.

I love the reassurance that God gives Joshua by telling him to look at the history that he knows. Everyone knew of the faith of Moses and the faithfulness of God towards His chosen people. Joshua was facing a large and looming unknown in front of him and God directed him towards examining how He had consistently proved himself with Moses. After He reminds Joshua of the past, he begins stating his promises for this new leader. These promises are strong, specific, and leave no room for doubt of God's favor. Don't we wish that God would talk to us in this way today? But we have something that Joshua didn't have-the recorded history of all the fulfilled promises of God toward his chosen people. The bible is our way of examining the faithfulness of God. When the fear of the unknown looms ahead of us, how do we know God will never fail us? We can look at so many people in His word that God consistently granted favor and grace towards, even when those same people failed God over and over again (Abraham and David are 2 perfect examples).

We can also look at the history in our own lives. Even when life is a struggle, we can look back at those times and see God's presence that perhaps was difficult to find in the moment. It is our history with God that can and will bolster us for our uncertain future in this world. What do I have to fear when I know that God will always never abandon me or fail me? It gives perspective to my fears when I look to the promises in His word and examine His faithfulness in my life.

Much love and many blessings to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment