Beach time!

Beach time!

Monday, December 12, 2011

Adopted out of slavery

The Spirit you received does not make you slaves, so that you live in fear again; rather, the Spirit you received brought about your adoption to sonship. And by him we cry, “Abba, Father.”

Romans 8:15

There are so many people that believe that having a relationship with Christ is a like joining some sort of country club. Exclusivity, rules, and membership define a 'church experience' for some. This misconception causes people to focus on the church rather than on the relationship with our Father. If this performance-based Christianity was a reality,  'becoming a Christian' would just be something that would bring about more bondage and anxiety and worry about not meeting up to standards. The truth is, receiving the spirit of Christ gives us such freedom-freedom to mess up and be forgiven, freedom to drop our self-imposed feelings of perfection, and freedom to be the rightful daughter or son of God.

When I read my own words, I wonder how I can ever doubt, fear, or worry again. I mean, I am the daughter of God. He is my adopted father, not because He is stuck with me, but because He chose me-adopted me. There is not a more beautiful picture of being secure in my place than knowing the Creator of the world called me by name. He knows my struggles and doesn't love me despite them, but He just loves me. Period.

He chose you too and all you have to do is accept the inheritance. Accept the fact that God wants to provide security, peace, and comfort in your life. He has called you by name, my friend. Life will happen and we may struggle with our fears but God goes before us in everything.

Call on Him. Tell Him your hurts. He knows anyway but He just wants to be your abba, your daddy.

Love and blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment