Beach time!

Beach time!

Sunday, December 4, 2011

May it be...

I am going to piggyback on yesterday's blog. So if you haven't read Day 9, scroll down and read it first so this makes complete sense. Our pastor spoke this morning about the very verse I talked about last night-Mary's struggle with the news the angel was bringing her and her ultimate choice to surrender.

"I am the Lord's servant", Mary answered, "May it be to me according to your word."

What does this verse specifically have to do with fear? Surrender. Nothing can be scarier than the thought of relinquishing control (especially for those of us who like to control a situation). Surrender can feel like the ultimate giving up of control. It is!

I remember when we first had Parker 9 years ago. I had always known and understood the need to acknowledge the fact that Jeremy and I were here to care for him on earth, but he really belonged to God. God simply chose us to care for this little baby and to raise him in obedience. I had this fear (it actually made me sweat to think of it) that if I told God that I understood that Parker belonged to Him and not us, that something terrible would happen and God would take him away from us. So, I fought that acknowledgement for many years. I felt as though I couldn't give God the option to take him from us if I didn't voice what I knew in my heart. Do you see my attempt to control a situation just brought undue fear and anxiety? Honestly, my heart beats faster right now as I sit here with the fear of losing a child. I have several precious people in my life that have experienced this tremendous loss. One, in particular, I watched walk through this heartbreaking process with surrender and grace. Ultimately her peace came in her complete surrender.

Mary was given an incredible way to surrender and serve God with her heart, body, and entire life. She sacrificed her reputation and potentially her relationship with Joseph, her fiance. She chose to surrender but she chose not to surrender begrudgingly. She chose instead to put aside her plans for God's plans. All because God chose her in His unmerited favor.

Hasn't God already chosen us in His grace to do all of these things? But, oh, surrender feels so difficult in the moment. We feel as though we are giving up so much. And maybe we are. But maybe it will change the course of our lives and other people's lives like it did with Mary.

Love you, my friends. May we surrender every moment, every day. Such peace in surrender. How can we fear when we know our lives are in the palm of our Father's hand?

Take a moment and read Mary's song during her visit with Elizabeth, her cousin.

And Mary said:
   “My soul glorifies the Lord
 47 and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior,
48 for he has been mindful
   of the humble state of his servant.
From now on all generations will call me blessed,
 49 for the Mighty One has done great things for me—
   holy is his name.
50 His mercy extends to those who fear him,
   from generation to generation.
51 He has performed mighty deeds with his arm;
   he has scattered those who are proud in their inmost thoughts.
52 He has brought down rulers from their thrones
   but has lifted up the humble.
53 He has filled the hungry with good things
   but has sent the rich away empty.
54 He has helped his servant Israel,
   remembering to be merciful
55 to Abraham and his descendants forever,
   just as he promised our ancestors.”

No comments:

Post a Comment