Beach time!

Beach time!

Sunday, November 27, 2011

A way out of anxiety

Ok, this day is a tough one. Well, it's two-sided. The verse is one of the most encouraging ones in the bible that I have latched on to but it is also, I believe, one of the hardest commandments to keep. Here goes...
"Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God." Philippians 4:6

Ok, deep breath. Here we go...
Before I had truly meditated and prayed over this verse, I thought that God probably didn't want us to worry because it's not good for us but I certainly didn't view it as an actual commandment. As in not an option. But if something big is going on in my life, isn't it my right to worry myself to pieces over it? Who exactly am I affecting if I am feeling anxious? I mean, it's human nature right? What if it is my personality to be a worrier?
These are all of the things I've struggled with as life happens and fear and anxiety creep in. But here's the deal as I see it. When I worry, it is my (really terrible) attempt to control the situation. And when I am trying to control the situation, who am I not giving control over to? You know the answer...God. He is in control regardless of whether we hand it to Him or not. It is a matter of whether we are going to walk through the difficulty with God or without Him. We either accept His peace or live with our anxiety.
Ok, second part of the verse is just as difficult in many ways. The Message sums it up like this: "...Instead of worrying, pray. Let petitions and praises shape your worries into prayers, letting God know your concerns. Before you know it, a sense of God's wholeness, everything coming together for good , will come and settle you down. It's wonderful what happens when Christ displaces worry at the center of your life."
Anytime I put this into practice and choose to go my God, my Father, in prayer, I get this sense of peace. Has the situation been resolved? No. Can the worst case scenario still happen? Yes. But, when I center myself with my Christ, He eases my fears. He clearly tells me that I am His and He is mine. He is my portion-exactly what I need.
So, sometimes I do this the right way and bring my fears to God immediately. More often, I do things the hard way and put my emotions, my family, and my body through unnecessary troubles. Back to our default switch, making a conscious choice to approach God with our worries. He knows them anyway and it builds our relationship with Him when we trust Him enough to say "I can't do this without You".
Much love and more tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. I love that you are blogging these verses. :) I always wondered exactly where all 365 of them were! I know God will use this to encourage many, including myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Carrie. It will be a challenge finding them all but well worth it in the end. Thanks for following!

    ReplyDelete